I think it’s easiest to get healthy in the summer. It’s usually fairly gorgeous out (unless you live here in PA where the humidity rises to hair frizzing levels in July) and it’s light outside until 9 p.m. I remember summers of staying out in the cul-de-sac until 9 p.m. playing spud with my neighbors, why should my twenties be any different? So as of late, I decided to break out my running shoes, my old bike and my tennis racket to get some much needed vitamin D.
I got inspired this year by some of my friends and my sister and decided to sign up for my very first 5k! Starting light, I went with The Color Run. This run benefits the Back on my Feet organization. Anyone who reads this blog knows I love myself some good philanthropy. Upon doing further research, I think this one bad ass charity! The organization focuses on helping the homeless as well as other under served populations. The idea being that introducing fitness into their lives will build confidence and self-sufficiency and in turn, allow them to become more independent. Check out the website below for more info about getting involved or donating!
But back to The Color Run. Basically, you run, walk, jog or yog in a white T and every 1k they splash you in the face/shirt/fanny pack with a different color. 1k is yellow, 2k is green, 3k is blue, 4k is purple, and 5k is pink.
By the end, we will look like this girl below. Only sweatier, more out of breath and less happy I would assume.
Unfortunately Philly is sold out, so if you haven’t already gotten your runner’s pass, here are some of your options:
– Head to Kansas City, Missouri and be confused as to why Kansas City is not located in Kansas.
– Head to Omaha, Nebraska, the state that invented the 911 emergency phone system.
– Run over to San Francisco, California, the state with more raised turkeys than any other U.S. state.
– Jog your way to Twin Cities, Minnesota the home of the Tonka Truck manufacturers.
– If you hate tea too, make your way to Boston, Massachusetts home to the country’s first public school.
Otherwise, you’ll have to wait until 2013 for this cool experience!
Today’s music comes from Chris Breezy Brown to get you pumped!